Sunday 19 May 2013

Tag: 20th Century Books

This tag was started by Leslie at WordsofaReader.  You can check out her original video here.  The idea is that you pick a book that you have read that was written in (or takes place in) each decade of the 1900's.  I had a lot of fun doing this tag, it was quite challenging for me to find a book that was published in each decade.  So here are my picks! 

1900's: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum barely made the cut for the first decade of the 1900's as it was first published in 1900.  I read this book last year and thoroughly enjoyed following Dorthy on her adventures in Oz. 

1910's: For this I chose another childhood classic, The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, first published in 1911.  This was one of my favourite books as a child and made me want a secret garden of my own!

1920's: Probably the easiest pick on this list; The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, first published in 1925, is considered by many to be the embodiment of the 1920's. 







1930's: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier was first published in 1938 and it's one of my all time favourite books.  I highly recommend it to anyone who loves Gothic literature. 

1940's: Another book targeted towards younger readers; A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith, first published in 1943, is a fantastic coming of age story about a young girl in early 1900's Brooklyn. 

1950's: Another easy pick, The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, first published in 1954 is another childhood favourite.




1960's: My favourite book that I was forced to read in high school; To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, first published in 1960, is one of those quintessential American classics everyone should read at some point.

1970's: I was told once that I hadn't read "proper" vampire fiction until I had read The Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice, first published in 1976. 

1980's: This was the hardest decade for me to find a book for.  I ended up picking Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murikami, first published in 1987.

1990's: There were several childhood favourites I could have gone with for this decade but I ended up picking The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, first published in 1995.



 What books would you pick for each decade?  Do the tag yourself or leave your answers in the comments below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment